Monday, September 14, 2015

Nomenclature

For this unit we learned about naming ionic compounds as well as acids and polyatomics. For type one you take off the ending of the anion and add -ide so MgS becomes Magnesium Sulfide. For type two we  learned how to name a compound with a transition metal and non-metal. In order to do this you have to make sure you add roman numerals. For example, CuBr becomes, Copper (I) Bromide. Then for type three it is a compound between two non-metals. For this you have to remember to add the prefixes, such as penta- for five. For naming polyatomics it is mostly memorization. Lastly, naming acids if there is no oxygen in it it gets the prefix hydo- and ends in -ide. If it has an oxygen you have to look at the ending if it has the prefix -ite it changes to (root)ous acid if it ends in -ate it changes to (root)ic acid.

Overall I found this unit fairly easy. Most of it was just memorization. During this unit i have to make sure i remember most of it because we will end up using it throughout the year. In order to improve my knowledge on things such as polyatomics i can review my flashcards and look up different websites that could help me. Most of this i would have to say was my best effort, yes i can work on some things but overall i believe i understood the concepts fairly well and but in my best work.

No comments:

Post a Comment